HomeNews > Article

TSNZ Covid-19 Statement

March 17th 2020


TSNZ Executive - Covid-19 Statement 16/03/20 


The following is based on Ministry of Health (MoH) advice, which can be found at: https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus 


As of the time of writing this release there were 8 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in New Zealand and low risk of community transfer. MoH advice is that public events may still go ahead, on certain conditions. However, TSNZ is recommending that the hosts of all events that are scheduled from now until 1 May seriously consider postponing or cancelling their events, however, the final decision lies with the organising associations and clubs. For those that do continue to operate we recommend:


You need to:


  • Remind those who have been overseas or who have been in direct/close contact with others who have been overseas within the past 14 days to stay away.

  • Remind those who are exhibiting flu-like symptoms that they must stay away until 14 days after symptoms have stopped.

  • Ensure that it is easy for anyone attending to wash hands with soap and water and dry hands thoroughly, or use hand sanitiser.

  • Clean surfaces regularly.


Please also consider:


  • Leaving an empty mound between shooters.

  • Keeping records of all persons at the range at any time, including detail/squad cards, so that quick contact can be made with all affected people should a case occur.

  • The risk of sharing equipment (especially rifles).

  • Cleaning shared equipment between uses, if you allow sharing at all.

  • The most at-risk are those aged over 60, consider staying away if you are over this age.

  • You (clubs and associations) do not have to continue to run events if you do not wish to.


Major Events

We will be asking the North and South Island associations to consider their options for the Teams of Ten and Andrew & Faulkner matches, particularly as the situation is likely to change between now and the time of the event. The executive will be considering what options are available for the Inter-Island match (North/South) as the time draws nearer.


As stated above, the situation is very likely to change. We will post any updates on the TSNZ website and Facebook page as soon as they are available.



TSNZ Executive